The Dragon’s Staircase
by McKenna Grey & Everly Archard
GENRE: Contemporary Romantic Suspense
FBI Agent Alexa Kyndall devoted eight years of her life to the search for justice, showing no mercy to the guilty and depraved. When she joins a special task force to bring down a serial killer, Alexa encounters the most unexpected criminal of her career.
When a child witnesses a brutal slaying, Alexa’s life becomes intertwined with Craig Pierson’s, a man with his own haunting past. They join forces, only to discover they must put everything on the line in a pulse-pounding struggle to protect and survive.
Nestled in a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, The Dragon’s Staircase is an intriguing, nonstop adventure that will keep readers enthralled from start to finish.
“Oh, shut up.”
The alarm beeped until she punched in the code. Alexa dropped her keys into the wooden bowl on the stand by the front door, dropped her handbag over a coat rack peg, and leaned against the closed door until she heard the click. She had seen in Craig’s eyes what must surely have been reflected in her own. The wanting, the need, and the impossibility of any kind of liaison between them. She was a wasted effort in the relationship department, and the sooner they both figured that out the less chance of heartache later.
She noticed the cold for the first time since entering, and this time the shiver through her body wasn’t from Craig. She pulled the pistol she’d slipped into her handbag back at Craig’s house. Jordan would still be out on the wilderness journey, or “trek” as they called them in their family. Why then did she not feel alone in the spacious house set back in the woods and away from anyone who could hear her scream?
“Get a grip, Alexa.” She walked through the lower level, checking every window and door, and did the same upstairs. The coldest of the air emanated from her bedroom and it was in the doorway she stood and surveyed the dark room. Everything was as she left it, except for the envelope propped against her mother’s old jewelry box on the dresser.
Her finger lay loose and ready near the trigger as she walked across the room, moonlight guiding her way. Alexa. The script on the front of the envelope appeared all too familiar and Alexa knew the nightmare had returned, but this time he was real.
Book Lover Promo Tour Stop
Character Interview with Craig Pierson from The Dragon’s Staircase
Craig, tell us how you feel about being the main character of a book?
- It’s a little surreal.
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- I travel a lot for photo shoots, and the work is amazing. I’ve met some amazing people, been introduced to fascinating cultures, and have photographed spectacular landscapes and wildlife, but I’d give it all up for a quiet autumn day in the Rocky Mountains with absolute quiet, no deadlines, and the woman I love. We’d spend a few nights camping beneath a blanket of stars, surrounded by the forest and sounds of nature. That’s my perfect happiness.
What is your greatest extravagance?
- My house in the North Carolina mountains. My grandfather had it built, and it would have made sense to sell it after I inherited. It’s a bit grandiose for one person, but I love all the space and the views . . . and it would be a good place for a family someday.
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
- To name just one would be hypocritical. I’m a constant work in progress. When I fix something I don’t like about myself, I find something new to improve.
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
- Laziness or apathy. It’s tough to see a person who is capable of great things, or capable of helping others, do nothing.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
- I don’t know that I’d consider it a great achievement. I spent a number of years in the military, and I look back on those days as my most triumphant and most tragic. Nothing I’ve ever done before or since has impacted my life as much as those years.
How would you like to die?
- Before, I would have said from a grizzly or pack of wolves in Alaska. It wouldn’t be fun, and it wouldn’t be pretty, but it would make for a great eulogy. Of course, that was before I met Alexa. Now I’d much rather grow old with her and pass away in my sleep.
Did the events of The Dragon’s Staircase make you a better person?
- I’m a better person because of who I met, not because of the events. I’m not sure if we all could have made it through without each other. Meeting Alexa is the best thing that could have ever happened to me, and because of her, I want to be a better person. Her family is pretty great, too.
Can we look forward to reading about you again?
My story has been told, and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out, but I could use a break (laughing)! I’m willing to bet Jordan—that’s Alexa’s twin brother—will keep you entertained enough in his story.
AUTHOR Bio and Links:
McKenna Grey is the contemporary alter-ego of award-winning historical romance and mystery author MK McClintock. Never one to limit her imagination or ignore possibilities, she decided to venture into the realm of contemporary romantic suspense and thrillers. Visit www.mckennagrey.com to learn more.
McKenna Grey Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/McKenna-Grey/e/B01GQI6X8C
Everly Archard is the pseudonym of award-winning paranormal and fantasy romance author D.D. Miers. Her passion for romance with an edge led her to explore the world of romantic suspense. Visit www.everlyarchard.com to learn more.
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/NJusquo2cUo
Order link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQ7OPT2
I was literally at the edge of my seat. The suspense level is amazing.”
– My Life, One Story at a Time
“Dragon’s Staircase is a heart-stopping non-stop, thrilling suspense. A must to read if you love thriller suspense with a romantic touch! Be prepared to go on a roller coaster ride of emotions!” – Nicole Laverdure, Book Reviewer
“A well written story and well developed characters . . . give the reader an exciting ride of investigation and the gentleness of a protective loving relationship.” – Lyn Ehley, Book Reviewer
McKenna Grey & Everly Archard will be awarding $10 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.